After some talking to the Pydev author, we've managed to make a patch
to a file in Pydev that calls the build_environment() and
run_models_in() functions from web2py, and adds the resulting
environment into the __builtins__. The result is you "automagically"
get a fully working web2py environment in eclipse, with
autocompletion, etc.

You can follow the development on this feature request on Pydev issue
tracker:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=577332&aid=3294887&group_id=85796

The procedure is quite manual yet, I hope it can be improved so it is
customizable per project.

Comments and help are welcome!

Greets.