On Jun 13, 10:20 am, Anthony <abasta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, June 13, 2011 11:14:23 AM UTC-4, dspiteself wrote:
>
> > 1. You could modify massimo's commet_messaging.py to use
> >https://github.com/kmike/tornadio. It also uses tornado but is based
> > on socket.io and gives you the choice of the following transports:
> > WebSocket
> > Adobe® Flash® Socket
> > AJAX long polling
> > AJAX multipart streaming
> > Forever Iframe
> > JSONP Polling
>
> If you're interested in this option,
> seehttp://greg.thehellings.com/2011/04/web2py-websockets-and-socket-io-p...

You beat me to the punchline.

The only trouble here is that the comet_messaging (including my
adaptation to work with TornadIO) does not interface with web2py's
input functionality.  The _messaging suffix on both of them is used to
indicate that web2py can send a message to the client but any message
from the client to the server is still done via standard AJAX/REST
calls to Apache/mod_wsgi running the main server functionality.  If
Massimo ever moves from rocket to tornado other possibilities will
open up for people who do not want to run web2py behind Apache or
lighttpd, etc but for everyone running behind one of these other
servers, WebSocket connectivity will be running over a port other than
80/443.

It sounds like Phyo's problem is solvable with the comet_messaging
system, if I'm reading his post properly (you want to send a notice to
the client(s) every time there is a new message, so it's only outgoing
messages from the server). The problem lies with a limitation in the
number of ports he can use. You _can_ use web2py's rocket server
running on port 80 and the Tornado server running (unencrypted or
encrypted) on 443 if you would like. It's just about the only method I
can think of which will work properly with what you're trying to do.

--Greg