We had a long discussion about this several months ago, and as a result, the
license was changed from GPL (with commercial exception) to LGPL. I think
the idea was that LGPL should allow usage of the framework along with apps
and libraries of any license type while prohibiting any closed
source/commercial forks of web2py (which MIT would allow).

Anthony