In response.menu each item of the list is a 4 element tuple. The second
element of tuple can be True or False to represent that item is active. This
causes teh MENU class in gluon/html.py to attach class="web2py-menu-active"
to the li tag associated with that menu item.

That class is not represented anywhere in the .css files included with the
example. I am using the superfish menus form the default welcome
application.

Here is what I added to my own application css file

.web2py-menu-active {
    background-color: #275B90;
}

but it doesn't get picked up by the rendering of the menu. I am thinking
maybe the superfish menu styling is over riding this or I don't have it
right somehow. CSS is not one of my stronger areas.

I looked at the example which the web2py.com site actually is and it uses a
PNG image file with style sheet animation to change the button look for each
state idle, hover, pressed and active. I saw something from Bruno recently
as well in another thread. I am still using the superfish menus, if I need
to replace them I will. It is not that difficult for a user to know where
they are in the application but it would be nice to show which of the top
menu items is active with a visual cue.

Thanks
Ron