The fact is, you can already do very much everything form the shell:

create an app

cd application
mkdir myapp
cp -r welcome/* myapp

delete an app

rm -r applications

copy a plugin

cd ~/web2py
ccpcplugin.py plugin_name app_source app_target

install a remote app or remote plugin

cd applications/myapp
tar zxvf path/to/web2py.app.name.w2p

etc.

etc. The web2py/gluon/admin.py has API to access equivalent
functionalities programmatically.
I am not sure what else is needed. Can you give me an example?

Massimo