Thankyou Massimo,

I have been able to connect OK to a Teradata database based on the
change to dal.py.  An important parameter to specify in the DAL for
Terdata is "DATABASE=xyz" to set the default database.  This worked OK
as is.

There are a few differences between DB2 and Teradata though (as I am
learning):
Teradata does not have a IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL() equivalent.  For now,
I've added to the Teradata Adaptor:
    def lastrowid(self,table):
        return None
I am also experimenting with tables that are non auto increment
(following the legacy examples in the book) as these are more typical
in Teradata.  Note: Teradata Identity columns do not increment by 1,
they will ensure uniqueness but due to the parallel architecture the
next number won't necessarily be 1 more than the last one.
I created a table with integer PK columns but the insert statement
generated by web2py is attempting to insert NULL values.  I'm getting
lots of Rollbacks too.
As I've only just got this working and I'm new to web2py, I'll keep
experimenting with different combinations to see if I can pin it down.
Thanks for your help Massimo.

P.S.  How do I get the shell to put in a line feed in the output
window, or is this normal.  Would make it easier to read ?
P.P.S.  If I want to run executesql statements, does the table I'm
referencing need to be defined in the model ?