That slice is still works.

The version number of postgres might be different, so instead of 8.3 use 8.4
or similar.

You might also find things like auto_vacuum come set on by default in newer
versions of postgres.

Some of the web2py setup gets confusing at the end since I made some
assumptions on how to configure the paths and used scripts the generation of
apache config files.

However by that point you could pick up at the book on enabling web2py
through wsgi and apache.

--
Thadeus