that is *so* cool. thanks Anthony.

I've modify my controller code to create a form and call accepts():
form = FORM(TEXTAREA(_name='message'), INPUT(_name='email'))
if form.accepts(request.vars, session): etc
and return the form so it's passed to my view

My view is still hand-coded HTML but now I've added
{{=form.hidden_fields()}} to it

sorted.