If you're running one of the web2py binary versions, web2py runs its own
Python interpreter, so it won't have access to the Python installed on your
system (or any of its modules). If you want to use the Python on your
system, just run the source version of web2py -- it's just as easy as the
binary -- simply download, unzip, and run the /web2py/web2py.py file. Then
you should be able to import matplotlib (assuming it is installed on your
system).

Anthony