Are you talking about how to design a layout from an HTML/CSS perspective
(for which you should probably consult outside resources, as that is not a
web2py specific issue), or just the mechanics of how to assemble a web2py
layout view template (assuming you already know the HTML/CSS structure you
want), with include, extend, and block directives? If the latter, have you
looked at http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/05#Page-Layout? Do you have
specific questions or problems?

Anthony