Another solution : You can simply link data to a Excel/OOo spreadsheet.
>From web2Py, you only need a view with a HTML table of your data.
In Excel or OOo you link your spreadsheet to your URL.

Advantages :
- you don't have to build your Excel file in w2p (no extra module)
- you can link your data with different worksheets
- you can refresh data in Excel/OOo (manual or automatic)
- layout and formatting is preserved at each refresh