I did a little research on the pip web2py install. It places web2py and
gluon in the virtualenvs lib/python/site-packages and when you run
Python/bin/mkweb2pyenv it creates a "detached" Web2py applications directory
in whatever directory you happen to be in when you run the command. People
who are more familar with virtualenv and pip can may diga round and figure
it out but it is an unexpected configuration for those more familiar with
the "standard layout". It seems to work fine, but it tricky to figure out
(in fact I have not finished exploring it and I should probably take a look
at the documentation on pypi...