wow... that's a good one! so...  i was on MACOS, then I did update
using the web2py update button... then I packed it up, pushed it to a
windows server and installed it... I'll see if i can retrace those
steps...

that makes me think, the windows server has a different (lower)
version of web2py (I think maybe the previous)... i can see about
updating that and if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the tip!

Mart :)