There is online shell debugger (based on PDB) approach already
included with web2py:

http://code.google.com/p/web2py/issues/detail?id=156&can=1&q=debugger

It need testing and some polish, but the as it depend on threads and
locking with a command line interface, it is not ready for the casual
user by now, so I'm now working on ide2py, a complete integrated IDE
for web2py, including editor, shell and debugger:

http://code.google.com/p/rad2py/

I hope that sooner or later it will be able to debug web2py
applications, I have to deal some threading issues.

(BTW, you should be able to use any tool to debug web2py apps, I see
no difference with django and others)

Best regards,

Mariano Reingart
http://www.sistemasagiles.com.ar