Thanks for the quick reply.

Earlier, I tested my application locally by running ./web2py and it
works fine. All the folders as mentioned in the gluon/admin.py are
available under ~/web2py.. When I tried to run the application in the
GAE development environment (dev_appserver.py web2py), I get this
error.

The following are are the sequence to the mkdir error:
1. Welcome application appears
2. http://localhost:8080/admin/default/edit/welcome/controllers/default.py
brings up the  edit screen
3. Click on 'Site' brings the Installed applications page
4. click on edit under welcome application brings the mkdir error.

All I wanted was to insert new tables for welcome application. Is
there a different approach to do the same?

In an act of desperation, I commented the code in gluon/admin.py as
follows:
def create_missing_folders():
    if not global_settings.web2py_runtime_gae:
        #for path in ('applications', 'deposit', 'site-packages',
'logs'):
            #path = abspath(path, gluon=True)
            #if not os.path.exists(path):
                #os.mkdir(path)
    paths = (global_settings.gluon_parent, abspath('site-packages',
gluon=True),  abspath('gluon', gluon=True), '')
    [add_path_first(path) for path in paths]

I got the same error again, after restarting the application and
reverted back

Thanks in advance for the help

Best
Ram