I agree with you that having three ways to do the same thing is not
good but:

There are three reasons:

1) some people may want to validate without processing the form fully
(no insert). shortcut to accepts(...dbio=True)
2) it allows to write onliners: form = SQLFORM(....).process()
3) no longer need to pass request and session.

see process() replacing accepts() and I see validate() as a way to
check if form validates without insertion.

There are also some different defaults. If you do not pass a session
to accepts(...) you do not get CRSF protection. In process(...) you
must pass session=None explicitly to disable RSCF protection.

We can talk more about these.... pros, cons, etc.

These functions have been in web2py for a while. We just made them
work better.