Look into dal.py this is added in:
                        if not referee_table in colset:
                            colset[referee_table] = Set(db, s == id)

For now you can just comment these two lines.
we could add a switch. One time I thought about

                        if not referee_table in colset:
                            colset[referee_table+'_by_'+refree_name] =
Set(db, s == id)

perhaps the switch should offer that as a third option?
I am afraid the switch will break plugins.