Thanks Richard, i didnt quite understand your explanation but i think
i understand what role is based on this snippet from the book:

" Each group is identified by a name/role. Groups have permissions.
Users have permissions because of the groups they belong to."

Therefore it seems that Role is just the name of the Group, like
mikes_hikingclub.