I think the Pyramid folks were actually joking about themselves, not
making fun of Web2Py. The Pyramid project had just recently been
created from the merger of the Pylons and BFG frameworks. Not long
before that, TurboGears had been rewritten on top of Pylons. With all
that consolidation in the recent past, the Pyramid community was
primed for the April Fool's prank announcement of another merger. It
was particularly funny because Pyramid and Web2Py are such different
kinds of frameworks. It must have caused a lot of heartburn for any
Pyramid developers who took it seriously.

Both Web2Py and Pyramid are serious, proven, high-quality, well
managed, well documented, and useful. They take different approaches
and are best suited for different situations, so it's hard to imagine
them ever being merged, but I've considered using both of them for
different parts of a single project.

  Richard