In base.css, just change values for left_sidebar to what you need,
e.g. width:10%
and adjust #content values accordingly.

About left_sidebar_enabled you can set it to True in the layout or
just pass it back from your controller in the dict:

  return dict(..., left_sidebar_enabled = True)

Note that width_content is not a real variable, it is just a comment
on what is going to happen when you change the sidebar settings and a
reminder to modify the base.css, in particular the #content under
#left_sidebar.