Good point. The name of the plugin (after installed) is not determined
by the filename (w2p) but determined by the file content of the w2p
file.

I used the convention to put all layout as subfolder so a
plugin_layouts so

web2py.plugin.layout_xxx.w2p would contain
views/layout.html
views/plugin_layouts/xxx/layout.html
static/plugin_layouts/xxx/*

This allows me to install multiple layouts and swamp them by replacing
views/layout.html
with
views/plugin_layouts/xxx/layout.html

Massimo