I have recently found OrientDB http://orientechnologies.com

It is a document-graph db that will allow you to evolve your schema
over time.  In fact you can have no schema, mixed-schema, or full
schema.  There is SQL syntax that is both familiar and powerful,
especially when combined with Gremlin the graph traversal language.

OrientDB is VERY FAST in my initial testing.  Massimo might write an
adapter in the future to make it more integrated with web2py but in
the meantime I have had great success using the requests python
library to access OrientDB via its RESTful API.

The community behind OrientDB has been as helpful to me as the web2py
community has been which is monumentally helpful to say the least.

Best of luck,
David