Oh! Also, I think I am wrong with the restart web server... I think finally
that it is a permissions issue what the web server user? www-data ?! If not
find your web server user and try this command (adapt for your exact conf) :

sudo chown -R www-data.www-data /home/www-data/

Try also to restart your web server, but I think it the permissions... I
always do both when that append...

But if you say you have update manually your web2py installation that is
pretty much the permissions that are in cause...

Richard