You can append a list of JS files to response.files, and as long as your
layout.html includes web2py_ajax.html, the JS files will be loaded in the
head. For example, in a controller function that requires a particular JS
file:

response.files.append(URL('static', 'js/custom.js'))

Note, web2py_ajax.html simply calls response.include_files(), which you can
also call directly (in the layout.html head) if necessary.

See http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/04#response.

If you need to generate parts of the JS dynamically, then it makes sense to
put the JS directly in a view so you can use the web2py template language to
fill in the dynamic parts of the JS (web2py_ajax.html does that, for
example).

Anthony