I'm not sure about reading URLs (incoming or outgoing), but for re-writing
them, there is an example
in http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/04#Pattern-Based-System showing a
re-write involving the query string:

'/test/default/index?vars=\g<any>'

Presumably if <any> could be a match of the subdomain, this would work.

Anthony