Keeping the online manual up to date is obviously a priority, but I
think that simply forking it and keeping older version of the manual
online + assigning a "major release" to each of the versions would
help avoid confusion and allow users with an older web2py to still
access a manual that fits their version of web2py.

I usually tend to avoid making any software changes to my live server/
sites (which are not 100% necessary), assuming I'm not the exception -
there are bound to be sites running older versions of web2py out there.