This is the field def:
Field('status', 'list:string'),

then:
db.mytable.status.requires = IS_IN_SET(
     {'n': 'New', 'I':'In process', 'C':'Complete'},
    zero = 'Choose'
)

When editing, SQLFORM shows the zero choice when on opening.  The
choices display correctly and can be changed.
On the next go round, it shows the zero choice again.

When viewing the object (readonly=True), SQLFORM shows the dictionary
key, not the value.  In other words, it will pick up the 'C' rather
than showing 'Complete'

I don't think it should matter, but because I'm using a generic form I
call SQLFORM this way:

return response.render(form=SQLFORM(db.mytable, request.args(0)),
h1="Edit")

Appadmin does the same thing and complains if I don't change the zero
value to a value in the dictionary.