I know this has been discussed earlier, but I am not sure how to use
JSONP for cross domain communication correctly. This is how I make the
request:

        var jqxhr = $.getJSON('get_devices.jsonp', function(data) {
                displayList(data);
        })
        .error(function() { alert("error"); })

I have tried the following URLs:

1. get_devices.json (works on local, fails on remote)
2. get_devices.jsonp (fails on local and remote)
3. get_devices.jsonp?callback=? (works on local, fails on remote)

And my controller simply does the following:

def get_devices():
    devices = []
    rows=db().select(db.device_status.hostname)
    for eachrow in rows:
        devices.append(eachrow.hostname)
    return dict(devices=devices)