CentOS 5 uses an old ver of python I believe but I stopped after 5.6.
The only way I got it to work was under virtualenv and that was after
compiling separate version of python (best not to dump the old version
as yum depends on python 2.4).  As Peter states it will require great
manual labor on your part to get it up and running.

CentOS 6 has python 2.6.5 or something.  web2py is cake on 6.x.  Or if
you're in a bind, virtualenv.

Regards,
David