In the latter case, what does the generated HTML code look like? Is the
dialog.js content in there?

Also, is dialog.js just a static JS file? If so, why not put it in the
/static folder and link it via a <script> tag where needed (or by adding it
to response.files, so web2py_ajax.html will automatically link it)?

Anthony