While I can run web2py on my development machine (Ubuntu 10.10)
without any problems, I cannot seem to get it to work on a production
server.

I have adapted the directions given in
http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/11#mod_wsgi
as follows:

$ cd /var/www/
$ sudo wget http://web2py.com/examples/static/web2py_src.zip
$ sudo unzip web2py_src.zip
$ sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/web2py

Then in a new config file /etc/apache2/sites-available/web2py I have
added:

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
  ServerName subdomain.domain.com
  DocumentRoot /var/www/web2py/
  WSGIDaemonProcess web2py user=www-data group=www-data \
                           display-name=%{GROUP}
  WSGIProcessGroup web2py
  WSGIScriptAlias / /var/www/web2py/wsgihandler.py

  <Directory /var/www/web2py>
    AllowOverride None
    Order Allow,Deny
    Deny from all
    <Files wsgihandler.py>
      Allow from all
    </Files>
  </Directory>

  AliasMatch ^/([^/]+)/static/(.*) \
           /var/www/web2py/applications/$1/static/$2
  <Directory /var/www/web2py/applications/*/static/>
    Order Allow,Deny
    Allow from all
  </Directory>

  <Location /admin>
  Deny from all
  </Location>

  <LocationMatch ^/([^/]+)/appadmin>
  Deny from all
  </LocationMatch>

  CustomLog /private/var/log/apache2/access.log common
  ErrorLog /private/var/log/apache2/error.log
</VirtualHost>

(Note: "subdomain.domain.com" is just a dummy entry here; on the real
server it contains the actual server details.)

However, browsing to the main entry page just results in the normal
main page for the server being displayed.

I will appreciate any "boot up" help you can give!

Thanks
Derek
2011/11/14

(As a small footnote, I have seen that most tutorials and directions
for web frameworks start with "installing on a new/clean machine",
which is very frustrating because 95% of the time that is simply not
the case...)