You can use a comment instead of a default:

    Fields(..., comment='Enter your comment here')

though that will display next to or below the input field (depending on
your formstyle) rather than in the text box itself.

As an alternative, you can set the HTML5 'placeholder' attribute for the
input field by customizing the field's widget:

    Field(...,
        widget=lambda f,v: SQLFORM.widgets.text.widget(f, v,
_placeholder='Enter your comment here'))

Anthony