But I only expect it to hit the database i.e. execute the permission
check, when I request a "protected" action in a controller. Not if I
request an "unprotected" action.
So, using the example above, if I call/request test I DO NOT expect
database avtivity, if I call test2 I DO expect database activity.

It probably has to do with the way python decorators with parameters
work, but these side effects are really bad.