You could do:

db.t_ab_recipient.f_distribution_name.requires = IS_IN_DB(db,
't_ab_distribution.f_distributionname')

See http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/07#Database-Validators.

Instead, though, you might want to explicitly link the two tables:

db.define_table('t_ab_distribution',
    Field('f_distributionname'),
    format='%(f_distributionname)')

db.define_table('t_ab_recipient',
    Field('f_distribution', db.t_ab_distribution))

That will automatically add an IS_IN_DB validator to f_distribution, and it
will display the f_distributionname in the list due to the
format='%(f_distributionname)'.

Anthony