My answer did not get posted. Trying again...

auth.settings.register_onvalidation = do_my_postvalidation_stuff
auth.messages.registration_successful =  'Thank you for registering'
form = auth.register()  #does its own call to form.process()

OR

form = SQLFORM(db.auth_user)
if form.process(onvalidation=do_my_postvalidation_stuff).accepted:
   session.flash = 'Thank you for registering'