Hi Anthony,

Thanks for that,  I couldn't remember about the 'extracolumns' and I don't
think they were in the book yet (unless just recently).

With regards the virtual fields,  I was still struggling with including the
virtualfields when limiting columns.

This works fine:
>>>rows = db(db.table.id>0).select()
>>>for row in rows: print row.myvirtualfield

But this does not:
>>>rows = db(db.table.id>0).select(db.table.id, db.table.myvirtualfield)
      keyerror: db.table.myvirtualfield

It doesn't matter on a table with few fields,  but when the rows are very
wide,  it hurts.  I made this point recently with regards to SQLFORM.grid,
 so I guess I ought to be patient until it becomes a priority.  Thanks for
you help

Regards, David