Going back to my original problem, Anthony is right. If you define a
single filter you have to click 'and' or 'or' to get the filter to be
copied into the search. This is easy enough when one knows, but is not
exactly intuitive if one does not want to 'and' or 'or' the filter
with anything (I recognise there is an implicit true). As we have a
'clear' button, maybe clicking 'query' when there is a filter defined
and the search field is empty should cause the filter to be copied to
the search field. Other 'naive' users like myself would probably try
clicking the 'query' button but are less likely to try clicking the
and/or buttons when they have a single query.

Peter