If it is only slow the first time the page is loading then maybe it is
a web page issue rather than a database issue. You can easily look at
how long each component took to load. In Chrome this is in the
javascript console (ctrl-shift-J) and "network" tab. In Firefox it is
in Firebug under the "net" tab.