This is tricky. When the form is submitted, it doesn't send the location of
the file on the user's computer -- it sends the actual file. Even if you
knew the location of the file on the user's computer, you couldn't
pre-populate the form field with that value because browsers won't allow it
for security reasons (otherwise malicious users could steal files via
hidden upload fields).

I think the only option is to temporarily store the actual file upon first
submission (i.e., the submission that fails validation). Then the returned
form with the error would indicate the submitted file has been saved (with
possible option to re-select an alternative). Then on successful
submission, permanently save the temporary file. Of course, you'll have to
do some garbage collection of temporary files for cases where the form is
not successfully re-submitted.

Anthony