In general that seems fine. Note, in this case, you can also simplify to:

{{if auth.user_id == mytable.author_id:}}

This is because auth.user_id returns the id of the current logged in user
or None if the user isn't logged in. Of course, this assumes
mytable.author_id is never None -- if it is, you would need:

{{if auth.user and auth.user.id == mytable.author_id:}}

Anthony