I do not see this line in the code but I assume you have it toplevel
in a module. That is not allowed. The module is executed only once
when first imported.
If you import it outside the wsgi application the request has not been
parsed yet. Even if it were request would always be the first request,
not the current request because, as I said, this line would be
executed once and only once.

current can only be accessed inside functions in the module, not at
top level.