This is strange -- when you submit the form but fail to include the rating,
for some reason, the 'parent' attribute of the SELECT element is set to
None rather than referring to it's parent TD. Can you submit a ticket about
that (you can link to this
thread): http://code.google.com/p/web2py/issues/list

For now, you can refer to the TD more directly:

form.elements('td')[1]['_class'] = 'multi'

That identifies the second TD element in the form, which is the one that
contains the SELECT (at least in this example).

Anthony