OK I understand the SQLite issue, but not the options I have.

1) SQLite does support renaming tables. I renamed the table in
question in SQLiteManager, hoping that web2py would then create a new
table under the old name. But now web2py simply complains that the old
question doesn't exist. Why wouldn't it create a new, empty table?

2) According to the web2py docs, "The solution consists in updating
all records of the table and updating the values in the column in
question with None." This is quite unclear- how does this help? In my
situation the column values were already None.

I'm afraid I don't understand how to proceed. Is there a work-around
short of creating an entirely new database file?