Hi -

Fairly silently.  In the case of running the dev_appserver.py -
submitting a correct email and password to login form just shows a
very quick response of invalid login (flash message).  Compared to
running the web2py built in web server the response is too fast to let
me believe that my computer talked to the smtp server I am validating
against.. i.e. the request just failed as a failed login.  But I am
testing against my organization's smtp and against the gmail smtp,
which work fine with the web2py built in server.

I am not an experienced python debugger, and my attempts to try and
step through the smtplib code fail with the GAE - funny errors like
non-ascii characters in the source files, which make me think that
debugger I tried (winpdb) didn't like the GAE environment.

The deployed application also shares the same problem.

Somehow debugging whether GAE is letting a TLS request go through
correctly seems puzzling.  I was fairly interested in using the GAE
because it came with an easy https access option, (I don't mind the
appspot subdomain).  I have a short term app that I wanted security
for.  Googling I've seen some mentions that sockets are not
implemented fully on GAE, but I don't know if that is currently the
case.  I would be delighted to get an error message or exception - let
me know how to turn that on if it exists in inside the smtplib, for
example.

There could be some silly mistake I am making - I have made a few
hundred so far, but because the implementation in this case seems so
simple, I think that GAE might be at fault.  Is there a workaround do
you think?  In anycase this development process has really been fun -
web2py is a nice environment to work in.