> Oh you work for WebFaction? That explains why you like them ;) lol

I am not working for webfaction, I just cited from the link I gave you

Yeah I second Linode, I have tried webfaction for ethicaldeal.com however I
> wasn't very happy considering they hike their prices fast always saying you
> are consuming more memory and need to upgrade. You don't have that problem
> with Linode which we are using for youadworld.com.

1) High memory usage
High memory usage was a problem with apache, and 2 solutions that makes it
a no problem
- uwsgi: I successfully run a bunch of sites even on 80Mb RAM, and Roberto
optimized it even more for low resource systems
- they recently increased memory to 256Mb, and this is memory consumed by
your processes, not by server or mysql database

2) Why I like them
In 2 years my websites were never down. I tried linode too. What made me
chose webfaction is the fact that they offer more per buck.

so a comparison to linode (RAM, storage,  bandwidth, price)

Note:
I consider webfaction default memory to be equal to 512MB of linode,
because 256MB are used by system: e.g ubuntu, mysql database, etc

Linode512: 512MB, 20GB,  200GB,  $19.95
Webfaction: 256MB, 100GB, 600GB,  $9.50 ,

Linode768:  768MB, 30GB,  300GB,   $29.95
Webfaction: 256MB + 256MB, 100GB, 600GB, $ $9.50+$7=$17 (256MB additional
memory)

Linode: pay month-to-month, even if you contact
Webfaction: 1 year payment - price is $8.50/month, ...., 5 years payment
- $5.50/month

If you need additional resources

Linode:
transfer $0.10/GB,
if you need additional space only method that I found was to upgrade to
next plan,
that means + $10 for 256MB/10GB/100GB

Webfaction:
disk +$5/month per 50GB ,
bandwidth +$5/month per 300GB
memory +$7/month per 256MB (up to 768MB)

interesting: webfaction traffic is equivalent to $0.017/GB vs Linode
$0.10/GB

Note:
when I reviewed tens of hosting solutions  and tried a few ones and lost
some money on them,
I wanted to chose a trusted/recommended one. And both of them are great and
deserve their reputation.
My opinion is just that webfaction is cheaper and have all of features that
I need for my hosting needs

Interesting:
You can scale as much as you need by load balancing your
plans(webfaction)/Linodes.

3) backup

> Unfortunately this is not good enough for me. I want the daily, weakly
> and monthly backups and I want to be able to restore them through the
> web interface. What happens if I am traveling and I discover an
> intrusion 2 weeks after the facts?

Linode offers this service at additional price.
Why not asking webfaction support team about that?