I'm not really using memberships and I have auto group creation turned off:

auth.settings.create_user_groups = False

It works OK in my dev environment so it has something to do with my
production data.

One thing I noticed is that it looks like it might be trying to validate
NOT_IN_DB. Since it's a Profile update, it should certainly account for the
current auth_user's email already being in the DB.

*File /opt/web2py/gluon/validators.py in __call__ at line 549* code
arguments variables
Function argument list

(self=<gluon.validators.IS_NOT_IN_DB object>, value='pb@com')
Code listing

544.
545.
546.
547.
548.
549.

550.
551.
552.
553.

        if len(rows) > 0:
            if isinstance(self.record_id, dict):
                for f in self.record_id:
                    if str(getattr(rows[0], f)) != str(self.record_id[f]):
                        return (value, translate(self.error_message))
            elif str(rows[0]._id) != str(self.record_id):

                return (value, translate(self.error_message))
        return (value, None)