The form isn't submitting anything when it is first loaded. In post(), the
form is created and then processed (via form.process()). When the page is
first loaded (i.e., no form submission), form.process(...).accepted is
false (since no data have been posted), which is why it reaches the else
logic. web2py uses self-submitting forms -- the same action handles form
creation and form submission. The fact that the post() action is called
does not mean the form has been submitted -- it is also called for the
initial form creation as well.

Anthony