Ok figured out what was causing that - I had one record with '0' for a sire_id and no dog with id = 0. Fixing that up makes the representation code below work. Yay! *But*... now the edit drop down list is showing id's instead of names... scratches head I'm sure that *was* working before....

I even redid the example from scratch and...still seeing id's instead of names in edit mode. Blast need to try again tomorrow and see if I can sort that. Well at least figured out one of the problems!