Found the problem:

from BeautifulSoup import BeautifulStoneSoup

I was not using my virtualenv to run web2py so instead of reporting the
import error it just prevents the module from loading. I see the good and
bad with this approach is there a way to force web2py to tell about errors
found when loading a module?

--
Regards,
Bruce