That's a finite state machine. It is nice and simple but too simple.
Anyway, the problem in using that with web2py (or any other web
framework) it is not designed to maintain its state using the
database.

Anyway, it should be possible to modify it so that state and rules are
stored in the database. Do we expect more from a workflow system? I am
not sure convinced every workflow I need can be modeled finite state
machine. I will give this some more thought.

massimo